Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Birth-Part 2

While I was completely knocked out, Rob was having to deal with other things. After the boys were born, a nurse came and got him. For those that don't know, Rob is very squeamish when it comes to this kind of stuff. He almost passed out at Lamaze class when we were pregnant with Aaron! He has improved for each baby, but he had to deal with a lot in a short period of time. So when the nurse came to get him, he didn't know that she was going to take him in to see Gideon. He got to see Josiah as they took him to the NICU, but they took him in a room where they were working on Gideon. They encouraged him to touch Gideon so he laid his hand on Gideon's head while 3 different people were working on him. His heart rate was in the 20's and got down to 18. Rob believes they called him in there to tell them to stop working on him, but that wasn't going to happen. After a few minutes, they looked at Gideon's lungs using a flashlight and did something (Rob isn't sure what because he was trying not to pass out) and his heart rate started going up to 50 and then to 80. They were able to get Gideon stabilized and taken to the NICU. Then Rob was able to come into recovery with me, where I kept asking him the same questions over and over. I had a difficult time waking up :-) After a couple of days in the hospital, I had to have 2 units of blood. I suddenly began feeling much better. The guy that puts you to sleep during surgery (can't spell that word) came by to check on us after a couple of days and said that it really helped the babies that I remained as calm as I did. I tend to shut down in stressful situations and while I don't remember all the details, I specifically remember just praying as they prepared me for surgery that God would just allow me to wake up when it was over. He did and I thank Him so much that, even though this is a stressful time, I am here for the journey and that our faith will be stronger because we are trusting in Him to carry us through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment